Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Yes! Vindication!

Alrighty everyone, I would like you to take a moment and gather your preconceived notions about people who play video games.  Go ahead, I'll wait... got em?  Good.  Now go ahead and pile them up... yep that will do nicely.  Now go ahead and take a hammer and give em a good smash!

I get a copy of Quirk's Marketing Research Review at work now, since I'm all up in the market research world.  One article caught my eye about "gaming" households.  I'll quote some stuff here.

"According to the research, more than 75 percent of video gamers play games with other people either online or in person."  Now, this statistic doesn't do anything for me, because World of Warcraft is online with other people, and you can play games online with people without washing your hair for days (keep that preconceived notion, I'm pretty sure there is a strong correlation between your character's level in World of Warcraft and the average number of days in between bathing).

11 Million people can't be wrong!
Wait...yes...yes they can

"In addition, more than 47 percent of people living in gaming households said that video games were a fun way to interact with other family members."  Not even a majority?  Pretty sad statistic, but again I blame Halo and World of Warcraft, as you don't have to interact with the real world around you at all (person hygeine) and still qualify for the statistic above.

Now here's the part I like.  "The study also indicates that gamers are actually more social and more active than non-gamers."  Wait, ok, you're going to pull something like "is social with other people via his level 70 orc wizard, right?

"Gamers were twice as likely to go out on dates as non-gamers in a given month."  Wait, what?  Ok, wait, raiding a dungeon with a lvl 50 elf princess on a Friday night does NOT count as a date (for more reasons than the insanely high chance that lvl 50 elf princess is a 28 year old male IT guy at your work).

Yep, I'm a dude

"In addition, gamers were 13 percent more likely to go out to a movie, 11 percent more likely to play sports and 9 percent more likely to go out with friends than non-gamers."

You got me, no witty remarks here, that's research baby!  And those are just the statistics I cut out of the article.  There was another one that I believe said about 50% of all gamers are married, and I think about 40-something percent of them have kids.  The median age of a gamer is almost 30.

So, take those statistics with a grain of salt, because it's not a good thing if those married gamers with kids spend hours each day killing each other on Halo, but I'm glad playing video games is becoming more mainstream (thanks Wii).  Maybe someday Megan will let me play shooting games again (see how many "gamers" give up entire genres for their wife, now that's true love!).  Viva el Mario!


Just doing my job...

3 comments:

The McEwans said...

Never, Never, will I let him play shooting games :) Well, if I and all of the kids were out of town for an extended period, then I could care less...

Susie said...

Ahem, now that I am studying research methods in school, I would ask is it a valid research?? Hmmmmm, was it taken through surveys? Highly unreliable, and notoriously full of people who want to look good when they know they aren't.......

Journee said...

Research also came out through a medical journal that playing video games improved surgical skills....so, of course when Devin plays he states he is brushing up on his surgical skills. Hmmmmm...I might buy it if he WERE a surgeon.