Monday, April 12, 2010

Grandma's Visit Part 1

We were lucky enough to have Brian's mom come visit us during her spring break last week. Her flight came in late Friday night so we decided to all go up to Seattle and spend the night so we could do a couple of things up there and not have to do so much driving. Brian booked our hotel on Hotwire and it ended up being a place that he had wanted to try out, right next to the airport. So we get there and we find the hotel but want to get something to eat first. I saw a couple of strange looking people and told Brian it looked like they were dressed up like Star Wars. We got some food and went back to the hotel. OH MY GOSH it looked like crazy had exploded. Unwittingly, we had gotten a room at the only hotel in all of Seattle that was hosting the Northwestern Fantasy and Science Fiction Convention. There were guys dressed as fantasy character girls, people walking around with tails, and pretty much anything you can imagine, there was. I gave Claire a bath and put her to bed while Brian went to pick up his mom. He said he got on the elevator with 4 scary women who told him they could have some "fun" if he went back upstairs with him. *SICK* I was super annoyed because the room across the hall from us was having a party. A very loud weird party. When Brian and Sandy came back I asked them to shut their door because I had a two year old who was trying to sleep. We ended up calling security around 2 and they didn't quiet down until almost 4:30. I didn't fall asleep until after that. Needless to say I was not a very happy camper about it the next morning. Luckily Claire did sleep through the night or I may have gone over there myself and freaked out. lol. When we checked out that morning we complained to the guy at the counter and he gave us our money back for the room and also $50 for breakfast at the buffet. That made it worth it. Free night in Seattle :) Everyone was still dressed up. Claire was very intrigued with a lady wearing monster slippers. She couldn't figure out what was on that lady's feet.

It was very cold and windy that day but we went downtown to the Curiosity Shop.

I had never been there before. It was a little stressful making sure Claire didn't grab anything.


Then we headed over to Pike's Market. I had never been there either and was really surprised about how BIG it was! It had like 3 different levels to it. It would have taken all day to explore it but we only had 2 hours where our car was parked.
Claire did pretty well on the trip but we weren't going to risk it by driving all the way home. We took the ferry. I had to go to the bathroom (all the time...it's the most annoying thing of pregnancy) and came out and saw this right next to our window.


There were two and the guy at the front was in full gear. Yes that is a machine gun. Brian said later it was a training exercise but at the time I thought a sail boat had gotten too close to the ferry because one headed right towards a boat and chased it off. It was pretty cool.

Up next, Easter.

No comments: