So, last night I watched a crazy interesting documentary on Netflix called "Under Our Skin". It was all about Lyme disease. Yeah, the stuff you get from getting a tick. The one that people say is so easy to cure. Well, it is if you get it diagnosed and treated VERY quickly. The poor people who it took years and years to get diagnosed were awful. And there was no guarantee that the treatment would even cure them. I guess people get diagnosed with things like MS, fibromyalgia, ALS, Lou Gehrig's Disease, or with just psychological issues and it's really Lyme disease. People live with pain forever because it is never diagnosed. Doctors don't think it can happen in certain places, but Lyme disease has been in every state. The CDC thinks that the number of cases are 10-12 times higher than confirmed, maybe around 450,000, which would affect more people than Aids! And the doctors are split on whether chronic Lyme even exists. It is a very political disease for some reason. I'm not a doctor but I'm leaning towards 'does' because I dont think all those people can fake their pain. Anyway, I feel really blessed now that I didn't ever get sick after all the tick bites I got roaming around in the woods in Illinois. And there is a possibility a mom can pass it to her kids and it is also an STD. Some doctors deny it but the people it happens to can't. And now I'm aware. Go watch it.

1 comment:
We are actually treating Zeb for Lyme disease right now. A tick bite went bad a day later on his chest...so he is on amoxicillan for 3 weeks. You have to keep an eye out....its a good idea to circle a tick bite with a sharpie so you will remember to watch it.
Post a Comment