Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A new quote

Between stimulus and response there is a space.
In that space lies our freedom and power to choose our response.
In that response lies our growth and happiness.
Stephen R Covey

I memorized this quote and it has been helping me a lot. Sometimes I'm short with my sweet husband . Sometimes I have to be in control. Sometimes I over analyze everything he says or does. Sometimes I'm (very) demanding. Sometimes I get offended by his tone and feel like he is judging me. Sometimes a little feminist voice pops up in my head and tells how unfair it is that I have to do this this and this...and if I let it go he will walk all over me. If I don't insist on that he will take advantage. What he does dictates how I feel and how the entire day will go. Gosh, don't I sound awful? I promise I'm not like that all the time. I'm slowing down, thinking of what I say and how I say it. I have the power to make things smoother or to blow something up. I'm trying to release my pride and be more loving. I'm trying to let go of my illusion of control. When I do things for my husband and put him first he puts me first. And life is so much better when we think outside ourselves. Luckily he is very forgiving and loving. I know doing this is what the Lord wants me to do. Life is not always perfect and I'm sure I'll slip up. But I will always try a little harder, and he will forgive me and the Lord will forgive me. When I get discouraged I'll just remember we are only X amount (now 4 years) into an ETERNAL marriage. Life is a learning experience. We'll get there. :) I'm lucky to have him.

No comments: